Wednesday, May 16, 2012

20 Seconds

20 Seconds.... Doesn't sound like a whole lot of time right? We can walk a few stairs (literally a few on the hill of the RB), move up one window at a drive-through, change a printer cartridge, basically anything simple and small.

Now what made my mind spark on a concept of 20 seconds? Let me explain.

I was just walking the other day into the Wilk on BYU campus to grab lunch. As I was going in the main doors I glanced back and there was a girl walking up the steps, about 20 seconds away (give or take). Well, if you haven't guessed it yet, I continued into the building and ate. To some that might not have bothered them, but to me almost immediately I was perturbed about what I had done, or in this case not done: held the door for a lady and wished her a good day.

As the day progressed I forgot about it until I was walking up to work. I had about a 10 minute walk to arrive and that incident came back to my mind. I began to think about that girl. What would 20 seconds have given her? Maybe what she needed that day was a smile and someone to be nice to her. Perhaps there was something I could have done, but I didn't. I chose to use those 20 seconds another way.

Now the point of this is not to argue whether or not we hold doors for everyone or that we all become bell  boys to stand at every door all the time. No! (Though if the possibility presents itself, by all means DO IT!). The purpose of this is to see a larger picture: What can I do in 20 seconds? How will I use this time?

So as I was en route to work I started brainstorming of different possible actions that I, or anyone, could do in 20 seconds. Such as, in 20 seconds I could give a smile to someone, I can memorize a verse of scripture or poetry, or even physics! I could think about my family and what they mean to me. I could look for someone to help or serve in anyway, shape, or form. I could pray and ask forgiveness of my sins and shortcomings. I could strengthen relationships with friends, family, and God. I could continue to develop a talent, make goals and plans to achieve something. In reality, in 20 you can change a life. Whether it be your own, or someone else's!

It is a decision that we make everyday, every hour, every moment. How cool is that!! We can change the world in just 20 seconds! I know we can.

4 comments:

  1. You're the Best Cam. You have given me something to think about. I'm going to start watching my 20 more closely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom, Love ya too! It's something we can all think about!

      Delete
  2. Reminds me of a recent movie I watched where the dad talked to his son about needing only 20 seconds of courage, where you be brave about doing something or saying something you would normally be too scared to do...you only need 20 seconds. I loved the concept had been thinking about that and how that could apply in my life. So I love this post, you are right on the mark with how we can spend our time...and it only can take something as simple as 20 seconds to do! Thanks Cameron :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cool that the movie talked about that!! It's a great concept. How do we use that time? Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete