Sunday, May 13, 2012

Rising From The Ashes

Life is about rising up. Raising our sights. Raising limits, expectations, goals, dreams... Though one of the least known, or understood, is that of rising up from disappointment, disaster, failure, and defeat. In essence, rising from the ashes.

Yesterday morning, Saturday, I was able to watch the broadcast of the groundbreaking of the new Provo City Center Temple. For those of you that don't the background of this story I will summarize. The Provo Tabernacle has stood for over 100 years in the heart of Provo. It has served many functions over the years. Yet in 2010 the interior and roof were burnt to the ground by a sudden fire. The church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) did not announce for over a year what exactly it was going to do with the site. Until general conference in October of 2011 when President Monson announced it would reconstruct it and convert it into a Temple.

"Temples are literally houses of the Lord. They are holy
places of worship where the Lord may visit. Only the home
can compare with temples in sacredness." 

A temple is a very holy place. It is a place where I feel at peace. I can feel close to Heavenly Father. It is a place really where "heaven touches earth." It is a place where a family can be united eternally, and not "just till death do us part." It is a place where I love to be. 

So yesterday when I was watching the broadcast yesterday I felt great. I was so happy to be apart of the groundbreaking of this new temple, a place that is so dear to me. After the ceremony Elder Holland invited all to come and use the shovels to move the dirt take pictures and what not. I looked at my friend Abe and we knew. We drove down as quick as possible to get in and we did. We took pictures, saw Elder Holland and what not. But the thing that struck me the most was the burnt-out building I laid my hand on. At the moment it was there in ashes, but was destined to be something even more, re-built for an even great purpose: To be a House of the Lord. Out of ITS ashes was rising something even more magnificent. 

All weekend I have reflected upon that moment when I laid my hand on the temple, for shortly afterward a group of children came to place their hands on it as well. I smiled at them. I began to think about life. About the joys and sorrows of it. Many times in my life I feel defeated, tired, weakened, full of error etc. It is hard. Like life metaphorically speaking turns to ashes. 

Though with the Master Architect Jesus we can be rebuilt from our ashes to BECOME something greater. We can BE who we are ment to be. We can transform our hearts and souls. And you wanna know a secret? That is the way life was created to be!! To learn and grow. To go through our days of fire and refinement in order to become the person, man or women, who our Creator knew (and still knows) we can be. I am so grateful that we have a Savior to help us. I could not go forward with out Him.  

Just as the ashes of the tabernacle are being raised to something new, so to can our lives be daily. By our daily interactions we can be taken to a higher plane and become someone better; closer to who we are supposed to be. I love it. This is why life is great because we can rise from the ashes!

No comments:

Post a Comment